Friday, 21 May 2010

Black or White ?


I have always wondered when is Isabelle going to ask this question. She has recently turned 3, and until last week, she has never mentioned people being black or white. And last week she popped the question. Mummy you are white and daddy is black, " What am I?".... she caught me unprepared and I just answered " black & white". She loved the answer and kept on saying it... When my husband got home we talked about it and he came up with a "cappuccino" version. I quite like it and so we now say she is our cappuccino.

I just think it's funny that until now she has never mentioned that people were black or white. Now she calls one of her baby dolls " the white baby" and the other one " the black baby". I know some people get funny when talking about this subject, I believe that very young & unspoiled children are the most honest and they just say what they see, don't they?

5 comments:

  1. Have you read nurture shock? It has a chapter on talking about skin colour and shows that where it is not discussed, racism grows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I haven't, will check it out. Thanks for the tip :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. I love her so much ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. awww, she is adorable!! Amazing how honest and open children are. We forget that sometimes.
    x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails