Tuesday, 9 August 2011

Win The Starting School Survival Guide - everything a parent needs to know!



Our Isabelle is starting reception in a few weeks time, and I am a bit nervous about it. I am trying not to show it when we talk about it with her, as I don't want her to see that and start worrying as well. I am so happy I got a copy of the new Sarah Ebner's Starting School Survival Guide for a review, as it is packed full of so many interesting fact and advice. I took it on our flight to Prague, and when I was returning to London 2 weeks later, I finished it and felt not as nervous about our daughter starting school as before. You can find there advice from many parents and parenting experts, and I am sure that it can answer all questions parents have when their child starts school.

Sarah Ebner is an experienced journalist and editor of The Times blog – School Gate, which has been named one of the ten best education blogs in the world by the Washington Post.
She has written for nearly every national newspaper and was a staff writer on the Daily Express and Daily Mail. She was also a producer and occasional reporter for BBC Newsnight. Sarah lives in London and is a mother of two.


Some of the issues covered in the book:
- How to find/choose a school in the first place: the kinds of
school available; finding your way around league tables and OFSTED reports; how to apply and
what if you don’t get in!
- Preparing your child before the first day: seven sensible and practical suggestions to make the
transition from nursery to school a little easier
- Seven sensible ways to help the learning process
- Leaving your child on the first day and what to do if your child finds it difficult to leave you
- Food at school – pros and cons of school dinners; the school ‘lunch box police’; allergies; after school snacks
- Time off school: real or pretend illnesses; being sent home from school; holidaying in term-time
- Coping with your child’s shyness; being bullied or if your child is the bully
- Special needs; behavioural issues
- Coping as a parent when your child leaves you alone at home!
- The next step - homework; tutoring; sport; preparing for secondary school


How to enter?
Sarah was so kind and donated one copy of her new book to one lucky All Baby Advice reader.
All you have to do is:
  1. Leave a comment on this post, including a way of contacting you in case you win (e-mail address or twitter ID (compulsory)
and for extra entries (max 3) you can:
  • click this button to show you like this competition

    and let me know you did so
  • comment on one of my non- competition/ non- gallery posts and let me know which post you left your comment on
  • mention this competition on Twitter including @Kahanka and the URL of this competition post in the tweet and come back here and let me know you did so, and leave your twitter name too.
Please use a separate comment for each entry!



Maximum 4 entries!
Only entries that have completed all the compulsory entry requirements will be counted!

Thank you!

Terms and Conditions:
  • The closing date of the competition is 23/08/2011
  • The winner will be chosen at random from all entrants.
  • The winner's name will be made available on this page and on Twitter. If the winner does not respond to our request for a postal address within 5 days, a redraw will take place.
  • Competition is open to residents of the UK and Ireland only.
  • The prize is non-refundable and cannot be transferred. No cash alternative is available.
  • The All Baby Advice decision is final - please don't quibble.

And the winner is:


number 18



Congratulations to @robynlclarke

Please e-mail me your name and address at allbabyadvice@yahoo.co.uk

The winner was chosen by Random Number Generator and only entries that completed all the compulsory entry requirements were counted!

24 comments:

  1. Oh mine starts in a couple of weeks to sounds a fab book @ljbarton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine will start school next year, I am already anxious about it
    @Dorothee77

    ReplyDelete
  3. and I left a comment on Bladez Space POD review!
    @Dorothee77

    ReplyDelete
  4. My DD starts reception class in September this would be great, count me in please

    @littleboo_21

    ReplyDelete
  5. my daughter starts school next year so this would be perfect!

    @ashlallan

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have commented on lite sprite toys finally in the uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd love the book full of tips and useful advice! (@pandcands).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Commented on "Our second week of summer holidays in the Czech Republic".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope Isabelle settles in quickly and enjoys school

    @robynlclarke

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like exactly what I need! @simply_hayley

    ReplyDelete
  11. This will be very handy as D also starts school in September. Thx for the chance! @smilinglikesuns

    ReplyDelete
  12. My son is starting school in September and I am dreading it, we have moved to a new area and he doesn;t know any other children, plus he is a real mummy's boy and won't go anywhere with out me, so I think I desperately need this book

    @bloomingfox

    ReplyDelete
  13. BONUS ENTRY 1

    I have clicked the button to show I like this competition

    @bloomingfox

    ReplyDelete
  14. BONUS ENTRY 2

    I have commented on Bladez Space POD review!

    @bloomingfox

    ReplyDelete
  15. BONUS ENTRY 3

    I have tweeted about this competition

    @bloomingfox

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails